View Single Post
Old 11-30-2021, 11:04 PM   #300
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Build that 71 402 already

Burnout................Done with it.

Just kidding on the later, but yeah, when the restoration on the compressor goes no-where, a run around really, and send out trim for restoration only to find another packing error. Was already fried the day I received that trim back.

But the good news is they finally took the compressor back, and the dryer too another packing error. And the guy doing the trim is outstanding that end of things, so it landed his place, again, a few days ago.

Third time on that lower rear window - the first group were useless. The other two pieces which supposedly "can't be done" were returned better than new. The bottom as well until someone stepped on it 1K just for front & rear window trim, had it to begin with and the fronts and retainers were mint less a polish from start.

Learning a lot along the way though, looking for that perfect grease I have far too many. I wrote up a "motivation list" with about 50 things I got to do yet beyond little stuff. 50 is nothing at all, none of them are especially major.

I nearly finished my steering when I tried to do it backwards so to speak part of the burn out right. All it was is you can't mount the intermediate shaft to the rag joint until after the spring is loaded So I'll finish that up with the guy helping build this for quick work come January, then we install the tailgate & doors, Yes!

Hopefully I get the compressor to install that end, then we throw on the rest of the clip & moldings & the balance is mine until exhaust. I'm still shooting for May 16th maiden start, I want to catch it before it's 51st B-day

I have two NOS inner grilles, the painter, who has helped build this is painting the original Technically it's not original, I slapped that on about 1991. We're building her with the old outer grille, get her started, then I'll install the condenser, slap on the other grille, and the rest of a stage of bewilderment. I don't know about your builds, but I've anticipated lenses & simple cab components for a a long long while.

Master cyl is "due Feb". Vent windows due?

The cab's kickdown harness arrived this week. Ordered that in January. The intermediate and rear bed lights are still pending.........Crazy time to wrap up a build man. On the bright side the cab is nearly wired, just need to install a lighter & ignition yet.

Installed the oil line with the kickdown today. I lost the lower tube, and a few hours & clean-up later I found it where I looked the first time Came across the truck's shift lever and thought to polish it with cheap stuff. I thought for sure it was marked up in a few spots, but nothing to it, feeling blessed in that respect.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote