View Single Post
Old 05-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
oldschooler

Re: smoke and heat. Not good?

I thought it might be something with the horn. I put a tilt column in and when I hooked the battery back up The horn wouldnt shut off. I disconnected the wire to the horn, went out later to start the truck and the battery was dead. When I hooked up the battery charger I could here a relay clicking under the dash. So since I dont drive the truck, I just kept disconnecting the battery. Yesterday I wanted to start it and realised the battery was left connected and it was dead. I hooked up charger and thats when I could smell something burning and saw smoke coming out of the dash. Will just disconnecting the wires from the relay solve the problem? I will be installing a new painless wiring system later. I think the problem might be with the horn button on the column. I was also going to put a new wheel and horn button on later hoping that would solve problem. Before I put the column in I had the common push button banded to the column. I assumed the harness to the horn was cut and I would still need that button. Thanks, Rich
oldschooler is offline   Reply With Quote