View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
rcbildr

1963 Chevy 4x4 conversion

I recently bought a 63 chevy truck from a friend I've known since high school. His Dad bought it when he was 3yrs old and gave it to him when we were in high school. He did a mild restoration on it and got it looking real nice. About 5-6 years ago he started converting it to 4wd, around the same time he met his wife. He got the suspension started, but life took him a different direction and he came to the conclusion the project will not get finished so he decided to get rid of it. I found out and we struck up a deal and I got it home last Sunday.

Here it is loaded up and going home.

At home,. the front clip is in the bed.

Here's the donor truck. I didn't want to sacrifice it, but it makes the project a little easier and all in all I would rather have the 63

The truck came with the stock rear end (unknown gears and A LOT of miles), and the front was from a 91 Blazer with 3.08 gears. He got the suspension where it should be, but it's only held together with enough bolts to move it around. The front springs are 4" lift and the back has 6" lift springs with 4" blocks. IIRC he used front hangars from a 67-72 chevy and I can't remember whet the rear hangars came from.

I have an 83 chevy shortbed 4x4 diesel that I'm going to use the axles and hydroboost from. Today I finished swapping out the front axle. I'm not going to bolt the 83 axle on the 63 just yet because I want to clean up and paint the frame and firewall. It won't be anything fancy...just gonna use some rustoleum.

Here are some pics of the front.

This bracket will be replaced, I have the correct one in the cab of the trtuck

Here are the seats I'm gonna use.

Here is the donor truck. I didn't want to sacrifice it, but in the long run it makes the project a little easier and I would rather have the 63.
1967 Suburban 1/2ton 2wd

My Girlfriends Projects
1985 Chevy Suburban 3/4ton 4x4 with 6.2L diesel, 4" lift, converted to TH-400, Warn Premium manual hubs, & Wildcat 315/75/R16 tires. (daily driver)
1978 Camaro Type LT with a Marine 350 & vortec heads, Rochester Carb, & roller cam
1978 Camaro Z28
rcbildr is offline   Reply With Quote