View Single Post
Old 01-04-2020, 12:08 PM   #15
Bigdually

Re: 1989 GMC 6000 Pickup/Toy Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvmt-Pndr View Post
That looks awesome! I put the same carb (manual choke) on my 427 and was instantly impressed at the difference.
Thanks! It took shape pretty well, I keep tinkering and getting it closer and closer to how I originally envisioned in my head. The carb was probably the best thing I did to it mechanically, their pitch about the throttle response with the annular boosters is really no joke!

The next thing I did was correct my wheel and tire situation. I bought the truck with 4 22.5 wheels and new looking 9R22.5 steer tires on the rear. It had two 19.5 wheels and probably original little 8R19.5 worn out tires on the front. I discovered that the tubeless original Accuride 22.5s are EXTREMELY hard to find. And I also learned that these medium duty trucks have a very odd small 10 bolt pattern that Alcoas wont fit. Having 4 already, I turned to Wheels Now, Inc. and got two of their reproduction wheels. These are exactly the same dimensions as the Accurides, but the face of the wheel is a lot more broad and flat. This didn't concern me too much, as I could just hide them on the inside rear and have 4 matching wheels facing the world.

I took it to a local tire shop who I always deal with, and ordered 4 new 10R22.5 Firestone drive tires, and told them to take two of the good steer tires on the rear and move them up front, then put the two new wheels and tires inside on the rear and two of the old 22.5 wheels and new tires on the rear. I kept the two spare good 22.5 steer tires. That really set the truck up in the air some more and gave it exactly the amount of very slight forward rake I was looking for.
Attached Images

Bigdually is offline   Reply With Quote