Thread: Rear end swap
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2021, 01:47 PM   #18
Caddylackn

Re: Rear end swap

If I was to go the cheap SOB route, I would get an explorer 8.8 with rear disc brakes, factree trac lock, and 3.73 gears from a junkyard, then drill the axle flanges for the chevy 5 bolt pattern and move the wheel studs to them. I would then upgrade the factory trac loc limited slip discs to carbon fibre limited slip disc plates to make a fairly stout non slip set-up. If the 8.8 was a little narrower I bet I could find wheels with an offset that would match the outside width of the tires to stock C10. Then I would grind off all the explorer mounts and weld in new spring perches and shock mounts. You might need to modify your rear driveline to accept the Ford U joint or get a conversion U-joint. The ford 8.8 is a fairly common swap into other cars so lots of aftermarket support and conversion parts.

There are tons of explorers at the junkyard around me and most still have the rear axles. There were 3.73 and even some 4:11 in explorers. The early 90s ones have rear drums if you don't want to run rear discs. I think all of them came with the trac-loc limited slip system, which is tough unless you want to only drag race.

There is also the Crown Vic 8.8 which is a little wider and has the tougher 31 spline axles, but most are 3.55 ratio. The 8.8 also came in F-150s and later Broncos. Not sure which one would have the correct width for a C10.