View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #29
hairlesshobo

Re: My caster mod (with pictures)

I will try to get some pics of it tonight and post them.

I am fairly certain of the measurements between the existing holes and the new ones, since we measured 2 or 3 times each before drilling the new hole. I didn't want to grind the saddle in case it might weaken the mount at all. And it is still factory rivets holding it in place. It was hitting bad enough that we couldn't get it to sit in the new locating hole on the cross shaft whenever the aft part of the shaft was raised flush with the saddle. From best we could see it looks like we were about 1/16" or 1/8" off. The way I see it, I have two more times to try it before the cross shaft is ruined. We turned the shaft 90* when drilling so there is another 180* to work with

At this point the truck is fully reassembled. This is my daily driver and I needed to get it back up and running for the work week. For now we rotated the shaft back to factory specs. The truck already handles much better from all of the other suspension and steering work that we did, but I was looking forward to the added caster. I hope to pick up some lowering springs and spindles in the next few months and when we have it broke down then I will take another attempt at it.