View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 09:00 PM   #70
Ben IV

Re: 70 gmc DIY build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucknut57 View Post
I'm still stuck on how good of a job you did on those bed sides, where did you get the ideas or learn how to do it?

Reason I'm asking is, I have already made my long bed into a short bed but was just going to buy the new sides but seeing how well yours turned out I may give it a try and save myself a bunch of money.
I did a ton of research even before I bought this truck. There's some great information on this site. I also looked at tons of pictures to try to figure out in my head how they did it. One of the best out there is a guy who goes by metaloxfab on Instagram. Spent tons of time looking at his pictures. He actually released a how to video, right after I did mine of course. Lol. If you already have most of the tools to do it I say go for it. Otherwise it might be cheaper to just buy bedsides.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Yes the 2-piece driveshaft with the rear slip yoke is perfect for the extreme drop of a frame laying truck. (Like Porterbuilt, GSIMachineFab, ChoppinBlock,etc. )
But mild dropped/bagged trucks with just a bolt in c-notch (no step notch) work better with just a 1-piece.
This is my favorite build on this forum!
For now I'll probably just go for a static drop like a 4/6 or 5/7. And thanks I really appreciate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles View Post
Long time Lurker, infrequent poster here...I had to subscribe to this thread. That is the finest welding I've seen.
Thanks. I started learning to weld when I was 14 I'm 36 now but it's been a long time since I've done it all day every day but I guess it's like riding a bike.