View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 02:21 AM   #46
joedoh

Re: slow ride (redux)

did the timing chain!

bought an underdrive crank pulley for a "while I am there"

new timing set, I ended up buying a factory tensioner.

like any left brained engineer, I dont do pretty much anything without studying in detail first. so I read and read and read about timing chain replacement. reading about it told me that there was a TSB for the oil orifice galley plug. when I cracked open the timing cover I knew immediately what the problem was, oil starvation on the chain. look at all that burnt oil, it was sticky like flypaper in there, meaning the orifice has been plugged for a while. the chain was so stretched out, the timing marks were about a half tooth off.

of course, in all my research and in all the how to's I read and watched (even a video in spanish!) nobody said I needed a 3 jaw puller for the crank gear. I mean, how the heck does everyone fail to mention that? so thats where I was, stuck till harbor freight opens.

here is a funny one though, there is so much room under the hood of this truck with the 2.2 in there, that I can do the whole job from up top. And when I couldnt get the impact between the balancer puller and the core support, no problem :rotf:

anyway, I quit last night without a puller.

today:
the levitating 65

removed the old galley plug, new one from dealer was $1!

cleaned up

new timing set. this was harder than it should have been. the compression kept kicking the crank out of alignment at the slightest bump

buttoned up!

I have a running video but photobucket is so dumb about videos now.

took it on the highway and its a lot quieter but still lacks some top end. I will drive it again tomorrow, was still chasing an electrical fault. I swear to heaven next step is an eaton haha.

carved out the astray for the little larrys, need a holesaw for the gauges.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393

Last edited by joedoh; 02-08-2015 at 02:26 AM.
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote