View Single Post
Old 03-20-2016, 11:30 PM   #57
Cautrell05

Re: It's my turn, 47 S10 build

Ok. Time to try again.

I'm going to run an 88 t-bird rack. On a standard S10 frame I don't think it will work very well. First off the inner tie rods are a lot farther apart than the stock S10 center link. You would end up with very short tie rods and would probably have a lot of bump steer. But then again the stock S10 already has a lot of bump steer. The bigger issue is I need to notch the crossmember for the input shaft of the rack. My chassis has an extra 4 inches in the middle and initial mock up looks like the steering shaft will just miss the frame rail.

In stock condition the rack is 2 1/3 turns lock to lock 5 1/4" travel. The white washers are there to limit travel and provide a cushion when it reaches the end of its travel.

I can't leave anything alone so I experimented to see how much travel I could get. With the washers removed the travel goes up to 5 1/2".

With the tie rods removed total travel is 2 3/4 turns with 6 1/8" travel.

I put Couple washers between the end of the rack and the tie rods to space them out a little bit.

That puts it at 2 5/8 turns and 5 7/8"travel. The next step is to get it mounted and see how much I really need. If I end up needing max travel I will shave the end off the inner tierod instead of using washers.

My 47/S10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=679723
Cautrell05 is offline   Reply With Quote