View Single Post
Old 05-03-2021, 11:41 PM   #19
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Plow Truck, '78 GMC K35 Dually

Winter is over and it's time to finally swap out the front axle. Last year I found a cab and chassis chassis for sale. I know that sounds odd. But I thought it was a regular dually chassis. I didn't notice the rear axle was narrower than normal. So my plan to swap both axles wasn't going to work. And the front axle needed a bunch of work that I didn't know about either. The front brakes were rusted to the rotors. The seller said that one of the stub shaft u joints was bad. He didn't know that the entire passenger side hub was full of rust.

Early winter I got the axle off the chassis and into the shed so I could work on it on warm days over winter. It took a long time to get the rotor off because after trying every method I could find I ended up cutting the hub in half so I could get to the lockout gear which also had to be cut off. Everything on the passenger side, including the stub axle had to be replaced.

Luckily I found a 4x4 shop in Glencoe that had what I needed for a decent price. Sids 4x4 for anyone interested. He was very helpful. He said he's had to cut a few off over the years.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote