View Single Post
Old 12-01-2022, 12:01 AM   #8
Beach-Burban

Re: Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 and Sanderson BB8 Headers Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Before I got after the cooling system, my truck would get to 260º, pulling the travel trailer. A BBC will live at those temps, but you're taking its life in your hands. It would also get hot idling. Replaced the fan clutch for the idling, since it's a known good radiator- still runs hot. So why would it run hot with a known good radiator, at speed? The answer was stupid simple. I put a high-flow thermostat in it, and that cured it. This truck has had problems with running hot the entire time I've known it- 41 years! If my FiL stopped for gas, there was going to be at least a half-hour wait until it cooled enough to start again. Some people on here run a BBC without even a shroud, and have no temp problems. :???: Mine never goes over 190º now (180º thermostat) on steep hills, but I have yet to tow the trailer in hot weather because the campgrounds have been closed, and I'm averse to dry camping in the desert. I put a severe duty clutch on it, too. Boy does that thing roar when it gets going!
Thanks for the tip Steven...I'll have to look into a high flow thermostat! I also have a severe duty clutch but I honestly don't notice any sound difference when it kicks in or out...if mine is working properly? It's fairly new???

Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote