View Single Post
Old 05-30-2021, 11:59 AM   #6
Meangreen1

Re: TR6060 to Np205 question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomad75 View Post
The TR-6060 being mainly used in cars like the Camaro and Corvette is going to be the biggest limiting factor in your swap. Only a couple of companies show a 4wd/awd version. Rockland Standard Gear is one that offers the true 4wd version. The other shop is selling a version that mates up to a AWD t-case.

TR-6060's aren't cheap to start with. Add in the modifications required to make it compatible with a T-case and the price keeps going up.

Given that the truck looks like a nice restored driver I'm guessing you are just wanting more fun/control of the driving with the future LS swap. They don't list the gear ratios but if they are the same as the car version it's going to be lacking unless you stick with low gears in the axles with the 35's. I'd be looking at 4.56's at least. It would still allow off the line acceleration and be able to use the double overdrive gears.

However, given the cost and the lack of choices going with the 6060, I'd look at a NV4500. It's a pretty well known swap that works. Yes, the 4500 has a granny gear which can prove to be pretty handy when towing or snatching a boat out of the water on a steep ramp. They are pretty good off road too if you are so inclined. GM sold them behind Big Blocks (GMT400) and the 6.0L LS engine in the 3/4 ton GMT800 trucks.

If you are keeping the LS close to stock and not going crazy off road, the NV3550 trans was used in the 1/2 ton GMT800 trucks. It's a 5-speed too, but no granny gear.

I'm going on 6 months so far with the NV4500 in my K5 and an 8.1L big block. Got to say I love the combination. Tons of grunt down low and the 5 speed lets me pick the right gear when I want it, not when the computer says so. I will say the torque has spoiled me and limited the need for shifting some. If I'm not trying to show somebody my tail lights I tend to skip gears as I accelerate up to speed. 2nd-3rd-5th or 2nd-4th-5th.

A second OD gear would be useless in my case other than dropping the cruise rpm a slight amount. But that slight amount would not net a major fuel mileage increase to justify the cost of a converted 6060 trans. That's at least in my case though.
Thank you for the information. The tr6060 was an option due to I can get one for a decent price and I am familiar with. I used one in my 72 2wd Blazer. Heard of guys using them in 4WD on a daily driver. That all said, I do like the granny 1st of the Nv4500. Seems all I can find is a dodge one. Is the gm bell housing easy to come by to bolt up with an LS? On a side note that 8.1 sounds like a fun build.
Meangreen1 is offline   Reply With Quote