View Single Post
Old 02-20-2024, 06:21 PM   #178
sfont66

Re: 72 C10 for my 25th wedding anniversary

Pushrods arrived today, but the Trunions are delayed, looks like they won’t be here until Friday or Saturday now.
I thought since I had a bit of time, I would press the old trunions out of the rockers and get them ready for the new trunions and bushings.

First I gave them a quick rinse in the parts washer to get rid of the old oil residue
Next since I don’t have a press yet, I made due with the vise and a couple of sockets. I removed the teeth from the jaws of the vise, so I wouldn’t damage or chew up the socket. I turned one around to the smooth side and left the other off, as it provided a lip on the bottom to hold the larger socket in position. I used a 7/8 socket on the side of the rocker that has two small flat spots( the larger socket just fit better there) this side receives the trunion. On the opposite side I used a 9/16 socket to push the trunion through. After making sure the sockets were centered, it took just a couple of turns to press the trunion out, releasing the bearings. I kept one hand under the rocker ready to catch the parts as the trunion came loose from the rocker. They just fall apart in your hands really. I had a small container to toss the unwanted parts in, otherwise there would likely be hundreds of needle bearings scattered everywhere.
Attached Images