View Single Post
Old 11-19-2021, 12:05 PM   #109
cericd

Re: Ground strap locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Yesterday I installed new replacement valve cover straps on way to install all five. I thought to check the old ones f with little intent to install them, I had chucked the one off the fender and there wasn't one for the bed. The three off my truck were painted like everything else exterior, wholly smokes, no rust but everything had to be stripped when I tore her down.

You're not kidding above, Most of GM's suppliers were top notch, it's had to believe these are 50 years old now, built in USA. Paint comes off and so does tarnish for days. Many hours later I came up with a set, my donor truck has rarely let me down, two is what I needed & two is all she had, she gets the new stuff For what worth the replacements barely stretched to my inner fender hole on the donor truck, it's not a good fit, they're 1/4" or so shorter than original.

This is what my truck had & restored, for forensics 1971 402, mileage may vary......

LH valve cover 13.1/8" and RH valve cover 10.1/2". I think those were measured end to end, I didn't double check, I just know one is longer and can't speak as to why. They're open-ended for the valve covers. Replacements are 12", though I've only seen one set.

The other three are 6" end-to-end. Asterisk for bed but there's no reason for a different strap than 6". I don't know where the bed strap was placed for certain, but I believe those run from the RH frame rail to the rear bed cross frame. On mine there's a hole in my frame rail for that. Same on the LH side, but I think it takes a harness clip. No sign of a hole on any of my bed cross frames, but the bed had some work.
Are those the restored ground straps in your pics? If so, how did you restoe them? They look brand new!

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote