View Single Post
Old 05-02-2021, 09:37 PM   #11
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Plow Truck, '78 GMC K35 Dually

Now that the rust was fixed it was time to make the seats fit. I was thinking it would be pretty easy but nope. They were too tall, narrower than expected and the seat back was THICK. They weren't power seats and I knew they would be positioned as far back as possible and always stay there. But I needed to get the seat height down significantly or they just weren't going to be usable. I almost resold them but instead I removed the adjustment tracks. That got almost 3" off. The back of the floor has an up angle so I notched it for the rear seat mounts. I tried to center the seat to the steering wheel and after I got it in I thought I had made a mistake but I remeasured and it was fine. The front mount had the seat bracket hole line up with one of the original mounts. The other side required a new bracket made to fit to the other front seat mount hole.

I couldn't find a pic of the bracket I made but it was pretty basic. Also I liked that the seat belts were incorporated in the seat. Especially since I broke bolts removing the original belts. The next challenge was the seat back, which was a little more upright than I like. My neighbor does upholstery work so I brought them to her and she cut out some of the padding at the top rear end restitched it. And also removed the headrest. That gave me a couple more degrees of recline.

In the end I don't recommend these seats in a regular cab square. Just not enough room front to back. Even after all this work the steering wheel is too close for comfort. I swapped wheels with one from a 90s truck which is slightly smaller. And I have read about some people pushing the column forward for more room. I will likely try that yet this summer.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote