Thread: Book Report
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2021, 11:41 PM   #1
AcampoDave

Book Report

My friends think I'm a "carb guy" and sometimes ask me questions about their Eddy carbs. Truth is, I got a 500 CFM on my 283 and I'm not too bad with them. Over the years, I've managed to lean them out, adjust a choke, and even rebuilt one once or twice.
Honestly though, the actual function of the circuts and how they transition from one to another has always been a bit mysterious to me. I never knew exactly where all those wierd little passages went or exactly how they functioned. I didn't exactly know why it needed the plunger thing on top to squirt gas into it or how a 500 cfm was structurally different from its bigger brother. I did have a vague concept of the colored springs but wasn't quite clear on how they interacted with engine vacum. In short, I had a decent understanding of the overall funtion of the things but was unclear on the details. Then I read this book. It leads off with some history and then walks you through the various circuts and how they transition from one to another. It explains how AVS carbs differ from AFB's and how to tune them both, and in the end it walks you through a complete rebuild.

I give it a thumbs up. It's not super heavy reading but it is it a bit technical of course. The illustrations and diagrams are very clear and the text is very explanatory. If you've got an Eddy/Carter or a Thermo-Quad and still find it a bit mysterious, then I think you'll like this book. I got mine on Amazon.

Btw, as for that squirter....mine didn't need to be in the middle hole, the lower one works fine and now I'm savin' gas
Attached Images

AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote