View Single Post
Old 02-16-2024, 06:24 PM   #118
Just-in-credible

Re: 1960 Apache K10 build

So, I took it for another quick test run, and I was rather disappointed in the performance.

It would absolutely not downshift on its own, and it immediately was short shifting gears into 4th, and would not lock the converter. So it was really laggy.

The tuner and I both were scratching our heads, trying to figure this one out. Nothing we could do would make it behave correctly. He changed the shift tables to crazy settings to try to keep it from doing this, and no change.

His advice after reading through the data logs was that I must have hooked something up wrong, because the transmission just wasn’t listening to what it was being told.

So I had a long think about it...then I realized what might be the problem.

Based on some (incorrect) information on the internet that I had read, I had grounded one particular wire from the transfer case module to the PCM. Particularly, pin 16 on the green connector. This wire provides a ground from the TCCM to the PCM when the system is in 4 low, and I had (incorrectly) assumed that the computer would be smart enough to understand what range it was in because of the serial data communication. So I simply grounded this wire and moved along.

Having this wire ran straight to ground was fooling the PCM into thinking the transfer case was in low, and that was the cause of my problems. It was grabbing the 4 low shift tables, instead of the regular shift tables.

I simply unhooked that wire, and took it for another rip...and let me tell you...it was a DIFFERENT MACHINE.
Keeping in mind it was -15 celcius that day, or 5F, so the roads and tires were a bit on the cold side, but wow…it would light the tires up all the way through first no problem. The converter locked up no problem on the highway, and everything was working as it should! I was REALLY pleased with how it handled. It rode a little bit rough, so I decided to drop the tire pressure from 45lbs down to 30lbs, and that made all the difference in the world. It now rode and drove exactly how I wanted it to.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=824325
Just-in-credible is offline   Reply With Quote