View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 02:46 AM   #332
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

Thanks for your consideration. After all the years since the 1960’s were introduced, I’ve come to appreciate the uniqueness of the 1960-61 GMC hoods, and they can bring big money now because restorers want them and so few survived. Back in the 60’s – 70’s every person I knew with one of those hoods threw it away right after buying the truck. 62-66 Chevy and GMC hoods were plentiful in wrecking yards so 60-61 GMC hoods essentially disappeared.

After all the years looking for existing hoods, now I’m holding out for the custom one off hood that GM should have been created for the 1962 models. My concept is to begin with the 62-66 hood, split the center section front to back and move the outboard style lines closer to the edges, then remove the center section of the top and replace it with a drop center similar to a narrowed center panel from a 1959 Oldsmobile hood. It should make an interesting blend of the old and new styles, while eliminating both the “pods” and the twin peaks down the center.

If I can make a photoshop that looks anything like the concept, I’ll post it soon.

Who knows, if Chip Foose ever volunteers to restyle my truck I’ll ask him to create one, because I certainly don’t have the metal fabrication skills needed!