Thread: I got cold feet
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2021, 08:32 PM   #1
conoco

I got cold feet

Man, So I bought the sniper EFI system and I also purchased the full Hyperspark system to accompany it. I ordered the stuff last week and it is all sitting on my work bench while I am up here on the oil fields. I have lost sleep because all I wanted to do was get home and install this system. So being at work the last 6 days I have really immersed myself in all the install videos, read the instruction manual 6 or 7 times and was just trying to prepare myself to get it up and running.

Then, the more I researched, the more all these posts and complaints started coming up about all the various problems with sensors, RFI, injectors and a number of other things. Even on the 4 facebook holley EFI forums I joint it seemed to be nothing but problems, The consensus on the fix was sending the unit back to holley and they would fix it and send it back, however the problems still remained. I just dont have time for that.

Now, I understand probably 70 percent of the people that had problems was because of a crappy install, and I also understand there are people who love there systems!! I very well could have installed mine and it ran awesome! Like I always wanted. But, I really need my truck to take my boys fishing and I really don't have time in the short summers of alaska to wait for replacement stuff if things to go sideways.

I was laying in bed and realized I have a 8 month old Edelbrock AVS2 that for the last 8 months has been awesome. Super reliable, truck runs great even after the many different jet set ups and everything else. So my brain was quietly telling me why would you go to something you are not absolutely confident in working. Again, I am sure it is a great product which is why so many are sold. It wasn't the install I was worried about, I was prepared and I am good with mechanical stuff, for me it was just the unknown of if I would get a crappy unit that I was constantly having problems with like so many others.

So, I sent it back today and instead I ordered the PROGRESSION IGNITION Distributor, which I am happy about. The thing I was really looking forward to the sniper was being able to adjust timing on the fly and through all the RPM ranges. This progression ignition distributor from what I have read is awesome and I have been eyeing it the last year and just never went that route. If anyone has experience with this system I would love to hear about it Good or Bad, it looks like I will really be able to dive into what I wanted from the get go. I also thought about going with the edelbrock PRO-FLO but after buying the gearvendors unit the pro flo is a little out of my price range right now. Maybe one day. If anyone has experience or has this installed I would also love to get your opinion on that system.

So in my garage I have my new gear vendors unit and the efi that was suppose to be installed, My mind is at ease now though and I'm not anxious anymore. I have no doubt the AVS2 will be even more fun to drive once the gear vendors unit is on and I know it will be just as reliable as it has been thus far. No more worries. Sorry for the long post I just wanted to share my thoughts on this, I am sure there are plenty of people that were in the same boat and maybe went ahead with the install anyway ( I hope everything really worked out for them) I probably would have loved mine, and maybe one day I will install it, but I am gonna see how this new distro and gear vendors works for a while. Once summer hits I will be gone fish'in!! Be safe everyone.
Attached Images