View Single Post
Old 05-25-2022, 12:45 AM   #62
LT7A

Re: Restoration insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
One thing every day, no matter how small... even if it's just cleaning up and prepping for the next round. Also, tearing it down to nothing right off the jump. Much better to keep it running and driving, which keeps the fun in it and keeps enthusiasm up. I'm desperately trying right now not to tear my 87 down to the frame and REALLY get it on Z'd frame, custom body, custom susp, big LS, etc, but I have a lot of other irons in the fire, and a lot of work at work.
I remember the 87 from reading the build on the other truck. Or at least I think I do, is that the right one? If you decide to get going on it, will you think about doing another build thread?

This is an interesting discussion. I think it helps to know why you are restoring a truck. For me, it is a diversion. I enjoy making the improvements. I enjoy doing the research and coming up with solutions. I enjoy driving something that's old, has character, and is better than when I got it. And often times better than when it left the factory in performance and handling/braking. So, body-off-frame restorations are not the right thing for me. Taking apart one area, cleaning it, repairing it, refinishing it as needed, and putting it back together is the right thing for me. Some guys were just made to pull these trucks all the way apart and build them back up. I like reading their build threads ; )

Much of this thread talks about things that I think of as efficiency. I have shifted my efforts toward what I call effectiveness. For me, enjoying what I'm doing is the very most important aspect. So, for me to be effective, I need to be enjoying myself a good portion of the time. That means, not to be in a hurry, not to have a deadline, and to have the right tools, good access, and a reasonably comfortable environment. For others, being most efficient may be the most important aspect of being effective. I can understand that, but for me, that's what I do at work.

Last edited by LT7A; 05-27-2022 at 09:03 AM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote