View Single Post
Old 04-08-2021, 12:54 PM   #35
SunSoaked

Re: Vortec swappers with dual tanks: how'd ya do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dleslie212 View Post
I’m digging up your old dug up post now...

Did you ever do this?

1977 K10

I just installed an Edelbrock ProFlo 4 system, but I’m not happy with the fuel system. What I currently have is dual tanks into one of the newer switching valves, into a 60 PSI fuel pump, up to a regulator that splits into the injector rail and return line, which is then plumbed back into the switching valve.

My problem is that the external pump is overheating. After an hour or so of driving, I can start to hear the pump whining, and I can watch my fuel pressure slowly creep lower and lower on the tablet that came with the ProFlo system. The pump is mounted underneath the top portion of the inside passenger frame rail, but is somewhat close to my exhaust. I’m pretty sure the heat soak from the exhaust is overheating the pump. This was most apparent when I took the truck for a 4 hour off-road trip on an 80 degree day a few weeks back - I had to crawl on the bumpy ass Road so slowly that there was no air flow underneath to move air. It was a nightmare - on the way back, I had to stop every 20 or 30 minutes and spray cold water onto the fuel pump, wait for it to cool down, and then start again. However, I just took the truck out camping last weekend, and was on the highway for about an hour. It wasn’t as bad as the off-road trip, but I towards the end, I could still hear the fuel pump whining over my loud exhaust, and my pressure started slowly creeping down again.

What I’d like to do is just replace the dual tanks with newer baffled tanks and internal fuel pumps, but am struggling comprehending how I’d go about controlling which pump activates in unison with the switching valve.

Also, any recommendations as far as which tanks and internal pumps I should be looking for would be awesome. The senders themselves are both about a year old, but I don’t mind replacing them again either
Perfect timing. I too am looking at redoing my dual tank setup on my 85 K20 with PF-4. I'm in Yuma, just south of you and the heat does not play well with my current Edelbrock remote sump setup.

So far I have come up with needing to replace the tanks with 87 versions, Spectra sending units, EP381 pumps, 87 rocker switch, AC Delco 6 way valve (replacement for the Pollack) and new FI rated hoses and clamps.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote