View Single Post
Old 10-23-2021, 11:44 PM   #5
Nick_R_23

Re: 1991 Chevy C1500 RCSB Version: I Have A Problem

Alright, so an actual update on the truck itself. I spent a few days just looking it over and fixing little things to be able to drive it home from Anchorage. This is the few things that were fixed or replaced:

• Replaced bad throttle body gasket
• Replaced bad gauge temp sensor and pigtail
• Found ECU temp sensor completely missing, installed a new one
• Fixed ECU and headlight harness grounds
• Replaced leaking thermostat gasket and sticking thermostat
• Repaired chaffed wires throughout harness
• Replaced missing transmission mount nut
• Repaired multiple brake line fitting leaks
• Replaced damaged TV cable
• Fixed all exterior lights
• Repaired damaged alternator charging wire

I also found some evidence of previous crash damage, which is fairly minor for the most part. The core support is damaged, as is the frame mount on the passenger side. Bumper brackets are bent, but the bumper has been replaced…with one bolt holding it. I’ll find some straight pieces from another frame.

Even after replacing the gauge sensor and pigtail, the temp gauge was still pegged all the time. I picked up another (earlier) cluster to rob the gauges from. I like the ‘finned’ style over the ‘open’ style gauges, I feel like it’s more of an upscale appearance. Swapped the gauges over to the ‘91 unit, and everything works perfect!

New gauges installed in the old cluster

Cluster installed in the truck!

The radio and A/C units were functional, but in pretty bad shape, so I found a cleaner pair to replace them, and also a little bit better radio unit.

New pair!

I also found a new core support, rear bumper, and an extra set of TBI heads to drop off at the machine shop.

Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote