View Single Post
Old 11-18-2021, 04:07 AM   #5302
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Becoming a habit it seems.

George walking up the garden path by 07.00 meant company.

First time he has come to sit on the armrest when I am doing my early morning day job stuff.

He also does sit on my lap a bit……..

Life is certainly good for me, having company.

This week has been very busy from,a,work point of view, full days of online training, testing and planning.

So yesterday was my first chance to go for my daily walk, and it was pretty good. Somewhat fresh if not chilly, not cold.

By 3.00pm the warmth leaves and the sun is heding home.

Look carefully at this pile of hay bales.

Zoom into the left top of the pic, and get a perception of the sheer size and height when you see the fences and gate on the ground.

This new farmer has so much scaled up his operation, which of course if destroying the roads because of the sheer size of the machines and tools running up and down here.

And it seems the local council and he do not give a toss, or care for anything except profit.

It really does anger me.

Now a home, but the St Mary Hoo Parish Church has been here a long time.

Quoted off the internet.

Of the three churches in Hoo – St. Mary’s, St. Werburgh’s and Allhallows – it is not completely clear which came first. However, St. Mary’s is the best contender as there is record of one Wifward de Hou passing part of the tithes of the parish here to the Priory of Rochester when he became a monk. This was around 1068 and strongly implies a church was already well established here.

By the time of the Domesday Book in 1086 Hoo St. Werburgh seems to have existed and was prevailant over Hoo St. Mary already. This is probably because the site of Hoo St. Werburgh was more suitable for habitation and that village grew as St. Mary Hoo shrank to a few houses.

Nevertheless, the church at St. Mary Hoo was rebuilt between about 1280 and 1350 as a fairly typical Kentish ragstone church with a castellated tower. All of this was heavily rebuilt around 1881.

Today the church is, unusually, a private residence and no longer has any ecclesiastical relevance. It is an odd feeling being the graveyard, which is still open to the public, but being aware that you are also standing in someone’s garden.

Hopefully I will be able to get back to the Rezin Rockit by the weekend inbetween giving Sally some deserved time.

Friday tomorrow.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote