View Single Post
Old 03-15-2023, 08:07 PM   #22
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Break in Front Prop Shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfranklin View Post
It sounds like you're replacing it, which is extremely wise.

In the early 80s I had a '74 Cherokee with a bad Double Cardan, and being in my early 20s with more optimism and confidence than money, decided to fix it myself. It was a pain, but I got it. Or so I thought. It let loose Feb of 1984 and took out a chunk of my TH400. Not fun to lay in the slush of a freeway offramp at night in a Minnesota winter disconnecting what was left of the driveshaft so I could limp it home. I learned from that. Good luck with your replacement.
You got it. BTDT. About 25 years ago I was about 4 miles from home when the front prop shaft on my '67 K/10 Suburban came loose from the D44 and dug into the pavement on a 45 - 50 posted road. It was night time, but the weather was not inclement. Before I had a cell phone, but a passerby let me use his, and I called a friend and he pulled my rig home behind his Jeep. Later I was able to pull the prop shaft and get it repaired locally. The price was reasonable IIRC. Another time [2010] the differential on this Jimmy lunched out. I was half a mile from the house. I was able to pull the rear shaft and limp home in front wheel drive on 4 Hi. We stole the good rear end off the Suburban, which had been lying fallow after an engine fire.
Anyway, the Yukon Gear product is expensive. So I'm running the GMC in 2WD just to get to work. Maybe later I'll get a front prop shaft for it.

A friend suggested cannibalizing the front shaft out of the Sub. Both have NP205s but the '67's Dana 44 is the older type. One is "Open Knuckle" and the other is ''Closed Knuckle." I'm not sure which is which.
Work schedule and the weather [raining now] conspire to keep me from crawling under to check it out. Also the drive shaft on my '68 C/10 Stepside is bent, and the driveshaft shop guy wants to look at it.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote