View Single Post
Old 10-07-2020, 06:15 PM   #111
theastronaut

Re: 1966 F100 Short Bed Styleside Metal/Body/Paint Work

Getting deep into the details of the bed floor... The stamping details left a lot to be desired. The ends of the ribs were all different; the angle of the "ramp" was uneven from rib to rib and the radii of rounded edges were inconsistent. Having all of the surrounding surfaces blocked dead flat really makes this stand out, so I got out a foam sanding block and 180 to round everything over and sanded until the guide coat was gone so it wasn't as noticeable.

Just kidding! I scuffed up the ends, masked out the areas that were already blocked to the correct shape, then skim coated the ends to reshape them.

Inconsistent shape of the "ramp" part of the ribs.

Masked and scuffed with 180 to prep for filler.

One down.

I only did a couple at a time so I could do all the shaping while the filler was soft and sanded easily. This slightly clogs the paper so I use a brass brush to clear the out the stuck on filler. The tape on the end prevents the block from digging into the surrounding areas that are already flat and shaped correctly.

I used a longer block made from 1/2"x1/2" aluminum to block across a few ramps at a time so they're all at the same angle.

Final product- flat flats and sharp, even edges. I'll slightly round over the edges when I go 180 grit to smooth out the 80 grit scratches.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote