View Single Post
Old 11-01-2020, 02:07 PM   #1014
rgunlock

Re: My 78 K15 High Sierra build - Fish Tremble

After visiting a couple days, we headed out on what should be a fairly full day's drive to Cary NC. Turned out to be a much longer day than expected. Real problems began while going through Virginia.

First issue showed up trying to climb steep grades when the truck would start cutting out... badly! I figured it was fuel starvation. The flexible fuel line between the hardline to tank and the fuel pump had a tight curve. When the hose got heated enough, it was pinching mostly shut. I was under the truck 3 times, not always in the safest spots, trying to tie the fuel hose in a position to relieve the kink, without success. I finally mostly solved that problem by cutting off the kinked area.

While this was going on, I also started developing a vibration that felt like driveline, so more times under the truck making sure u-joints were secure, transmission mounts secure, etc. I didn't feel any play in the u-joints, so was stumped as to what was going on. While driving, I'm thinking maybe broken motor mount.

We made it into North Carolina at much reduced speeds which kept the vibration down some. While cruising up to Greensboro in the middle lane of 5, something exploded under the truck. I barely was able to coast through 2 lanes of fast moving traffic to the shoulder. Had about 1.5 foot to a wall on one side, and about the same to the lane on the other side. Realized in a big way that I should have made the effort to replace the switch for the hazard lights back when I rebuilt the column, but didn't know it was bad until after the column was back in the truck and I was testing the new wiring.

Fortunately, we were only about an hour and a half from my brother's house. Called him for a rescue. Called AAA to send a truck to haul mine to my brother's. Called for a police officer (wife's idea) to take us somewhere safe off the interstate to wait for my brother. It all worked out, but arrival at my brother's was hours later than planned.

Edit: 3rd pic is out of order. That's a tunnel through a mountain in either West Virginia or Virginia, don't recall which.
Attached Images

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote