View Single Post
Old 06-28-2021, 11:54 PM   #132
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Bigass Farm Truck

The parts came, almost. One of the shift solenoids was missing from the package, the 1-2 shift solenoid. I don't think that one was a problem but I can always replace it if I need to. I didn't want to wait anymore so today I dropped the pan and checked things out. There was some wear materials in it but I don't think it was excessive. Nothing else in it. There was a magnet in the pan but not much more than dark silt on it. Everything looked alright, clean, fluid looks and smells ok. So I replaced the 2-3 shift solenoid and the temp sensor. New filter. I put in some Lucas transmission treatment and seafoam transmission treatment in it. I don't know if using both will be good or bad but they are different products and I figure that they have different ways of doing what they do, so why not?

The transmission fluid cooler I picked up was from a 90 something truck. They work great for the 67-72 truck because the brackets will mount right on the radiator support like it was made for it. That's not the case on a square body. I pretty much had to completely change the brackets to make it fit behind the grill. I got the lines with it and rebent the hard line part to go where I needed. Didn't quite finish it tonight, it's mounted but I need to get the lines hooked up. Then a test drive and cross my fingers. Probably Wednesday.

Bonus pic is a 59 Jeep. A friend (fellow board member) and I drove to the Denver area last weekend to check out a 63 C10 that he was interested in. Turned out to be too rusty and he was pretty down about it. We had planned on spending a day there to get the truck then be tourists and check out the sites. I've been there before but he hasn't. The forney transportation museum was on the list to check out but it was closed for a private event. I wanted to go up pike's peak, but this was race week and we weren't going to be able to do that either. He had to be home on Monday for work so we couldn't stay Sunday for the race. The next thing to do was simply drive up into the mountains. He's never been out west, never seen the Rockies. Off we went, with the trailer hooked up. An empty trailer. There was rain, some construction, some traffic but overall it was going alright. We drove past a place that had a bunch of old iron sitting outside so I took the next exit and went back to get a closer look. Cool stuff along the road but it's posted no trespassing. The guys shop was just up the driveway so I suggested we just go ask if we can check it out. The owner was in the shop and he was open to selling most of what was there. And there was a lot. He had a similar truck to what we had passed on that morning. But the jeep caught both of our attention. After hours of checking out all of his extensive collection we decided to make an offer on the jeep. My friend agreed to a deal and we loaded it up. We weren't going home empty. And his wife loves it so a very successful trip, even though we didn't get what we came for. The jeep is a decent driver, original 4 cylinder overhead valve engine, new tires, even the spare, a little rust but not too bad. Not sure if the winch works but it probably does. The lights didn't work but wiring an old jeep isn't difficult. Did he need another vehicle or project? Nope. Did we have a blast driving out west, finding cool stuff, meeting a great guy and getting something we didn't expect at a fair price? Hell yeah!
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote