View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #42
OrrieG

Re: Lurker OrrieG Progress Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL 58 GMC View Post
Nice work so far! Were are you at with the body?
Thanks for your interest Cal, I really learned a lot from your build thread.

Obviously taken apart. Bed is completely disassembled and bare metal. I welded up all the miscellaneous holes and fixed the bottom at the back where it had been cut out for a Tommy lift before I took it apart. I've smoothed the fire wall on the cab. Welded up all the extra holes in the floor, need to grind those. I have the bottom of the floor cleaned up and power washed, the original undercoating is good so I am going to reundercoat over it. Only floor rust issues were in the sloped area below the battery box. Years ago I was doing some heavy off roading and all of a sudden I lost all power right after topping a hill. Got out and found the battery hanging up side down by the grounding cable. Luckily only about half the electrolite had leaked out. Any way some of the acid got down in the floor seams and eventually rusted out. I repaired it.

Got the cab back primed this weekend, there are some minor dings that need taken care of. It needs both cab corners and lower door hinge pockets redone, there is a guy in this area that has been doing them for 20 years, I'm going to let him take care of that. I also need to plug a hole in the roof where an antenna was.

Front clip and hood need stripped and one eye brow needs fixed, I have a couple of donor fenders for parts. The donor with a good eye brow is rusted at the lower back brace, I'm thinking it might be easier to fix the brace on the donor, straight flat welding instead of curved. Inside of cab needs sanded and painted. I'm keeping all of the original exterior trim, door handles, etc., only outward appearance changes will be infilled gas tank filler and hiddle hatchs at the tail gate.

Last edited by OrrieG; 07-21-2008 at 03:20 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote