View Single Post
Old 06-20-2006, 12:35 AM   #40
PBFAB.COM

Re: Dropmember in a 69 C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
Are the outer tie-rod ends adjustable studs w/heims to correct for bumpsteer? How well do heims hold up to daily abuse?

Many states up north apparently frown upon heims used in suspensions. I just learned this recently while researching info about the 'B' spindle swap on GM cars. Guys were using parts similar to Baer Brakes 'bumpsteer eliminator' kits (heim ends) & having inspection issues.
The outer tie-rod is a heavy duty 3/4 inch heim with a 5/8" hole (overkill). It uses a grade 8 5/8 bolt to go through the spindle, and misalignment spacers (maximize travel without binding, and supplied with kit). The bumpsteer was minimized in the design with the pieces supplied in the kit.
I have not heard of any inspection issues due to spherical bearings (heims) being used in suspension systems. I wouldn't know why it would be an issue. As far as durabilty and strength is concerned, spherical bearings (heims and uni-balls) are the first choice of many performance suspension systems. I have been debating having a tie-rod adapter sleeve made that allows the use of a stock outer tie-rod end, the only draw-back to this is the rack threads and the stock tie-rod threads will need to be trimmed for installation... Which sounds more appealing?
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote