View Single Post
Old 08-06-2022, 08:10 PM   #9
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Quick Oil-Change debacle (Kinda funny)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms68cst View Post
So I take my truck to the quick oil-change place that I’ve been taking it to for a few years. It was run by a few apparent car-guys. They seemed to know older vehicles and they’ve built my trust over the years. I drive up to find out it’s been sold and now run by a chain. I don’t see any of the familiar guys and no one working there looks to be above the age of about 23. I figure heck, how hard can it be to change the oil on my truck and drive up.

First red flag. One of the guys takes a hand-held bar-code scanner and starts looking for the VIN tag on my door jamb. I kindly explain to him here is no bar-code on a ’68 vehicle. He gives up on that and puts my plate number into his computer. OK, one little flag. Let’s see where this goes. At this point it was getting slightly amusing.

Then they guy in the pit starts freaking out about all the oil leaks. Actually, my truck does not really leak all that much so I’m getting slightly pissed. He also insists that my TRANSFER CASE is leaking. Mind you, my truck is a 2wd. I started being a bit of a smart-ass at that point and said if he finds a transfer case down there, I’ll give him a million bucks. Turns out he thought the differential was a transfer case. At this point, I figure, I’ll have them just change the oil and I’ll worry about the rest of it later.

I head into the waiting room. As I was pacing around, worrying about my baby, the guy comes in and says they are out of non-synthetic oil and they’d have to have some brought over. At this point, I’m done with these guys and decide to bail. Luckily, they hadn’t dropped the oil/filter yet. I come back out to the bay to find another guy fiddling with my dip stick as he had pulled the tube out along with the dipstick. I’ve actually done this a time or two myself so I can understand it. After fiddling around with it for about 5 min, we got everything back in order. I think they were happy to see me go. I was sure relieved to be done with them.

Looks like I’ll have to take it to my regular mechanic to get my regular maintenance work done from now on.
My sympathies. Over 20 years ago, I took my '67 K/10 Suburban into a Jiffy Lube for an oil change. Truck had been modded to 454 V8, TH350/NP205 and a B&M hump-mounted shifter. They insisted their ''driver'' take it into the stall. The kid couldn't figure out how to work my Hot Rod Shop shifter [you had to lift up on some obvious finger rings] so he muscle****ed it. No admission of responsibility from Jiffy. I had to put in a Hurst shifter.
Now I change my own oil [None of them have Valvoline VR1 SAE 30 anyway] and no idiots get to mess with my controls.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote