View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 01:44 AM   #62
McMurphy

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Quote:
awesome progress, i like that that you are working with so many diff years of vehicles to get the finished product you want. good luck on the rest im tuned in.
Thanks Will... sometimes I have that old Johnny Cash song in my head about the cadillac the guy stole from the factory one part at a time...
I just have a vision in my head of what I want, and I am not shy to go against convention to achieve it I guess.
Either that or I am just a dork...

Quote:
The way I have checked rear end gears in the past is to mark the tire at 12 oclock and have someone turn it 1 full rotation while you count the number of times the pinion { or where the drive shaft connects to the rear end} turns. so if it turns 3 and 3/4 truns that means its a 373 gear set, or if it turns just over 3 times its probally a 308 gear set.
Thank you Chevelles, I will prolly have to try that. I am posting a pic of the only numbers I found on the gear, but I cannot see them as helpful.

Quote:
there should be some numbers on the ring gear which is the big set of teeth like maybe 41-11 which when you divide the little number into the big you would come up with a 373, but one thing for sure its a posi unit nice progress.
First of all, I gotta tell you, I am not a math guy...I cant even paint by numbers.
I looked but could not tell any numbers that fit that description but am posting a pic.

Quote:
Trans x-members are easy for these trucks. Lots of aftermarket and some stock stuff fits just fine; I think from the 73-87 squares. Dont sweat that part.
Yeah Protrash I was just telling the wife that, and explaining the difference between the mid mounts and the tail mounts for the tranny.

So a few more pics and I am gonna call it a night...

#1 is the back side of my ring gear (thanks you guys) and the numbers I found there that still look like Egyptian to me...
#2 and #3 is two different heater box parts. I am not sure why they are different. The one on the right is the original and has what I am guessing is a fresh air omit plate, the one on the left is from a junkyard donor and has the cable and vent. I can only guess this is a climate control of some sort to allow more fresh/cold air in ? I also hooked the donor blower motor up to a car battery and it spun like a demon, and I checked the donor heater core and it seems solid (barely used actually) so I am in business there!! Yay
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote