View Single Post
Old 05-14-2021, 03:29 PM   #12
joedoh

Re: Air Compressors - mainsplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAKKY View Post
Thanks - yeah I was trying to see if I could get away with a compressor that puts out 6cfm on 110v.

you will want to shoot yourself in the face with an elephant gun the 30th time you hear that high cfm buzz box (direct drive) 110 compressor come on

AAANNNNANANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG.

your pancake will come on 5x as often. invest in muffs.

110 direct compressors are motor->crank. no intermediate gearing or intermediate stage. 220 compressors usually have a belt/pulley to drive a twin stage crank, which will compress a little, then compress a lot. the 220 gives them double the voltage (two 110v legs) and more hp

to your original question hp is important because if you tried to use a cordless drill to turn the crank on any compressor it could not do it even though it can (probably) meet the (unloaded) RPM requirements and piston displacement is still the same. so could a ceiling fan motor, but that wouldnt work either.

I run a plasma table and my compressor runs a lot, its not bad to hear the gulpgulpgulpgulp of the 2 stage 220v compressor, when it was broken I had to use a 110 20gal BAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNN machine. it was torture, eventually I put it outside and let the neighbors deal with it. haha.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote