View Single Post
Old 02-11-2020, 10:33 AM   #107
toddoky

Re: Hooker Blackheart 1967-72 C10 Truck LS/LT Swap System Info Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by derotoreut View Post
Are you able to explain to me why this system, or others might not require the use of flexible exhaust joints (i.e. short braided stainless couplings) at or near the headers? Systems with "X" or "H" pipes seem awfully rigid to me. It appears that they might benefit from using some type of flexible couplings. Curious to know. Thanks.
Exhaust bellows are typical only used on hot-end exhaust assemblies where necessary to allow for material expansion between two rigid components located in close proximity to each other (i.e. the exhaust manifold to turbo connections on the back of the Duramax Diesel engines), or to provide a means to deal with the slight mis-alignment of components that is expected to exceed a specific production tolerance. Exhaust system H and Y pipes themselves don't present either of these issues (especially ones used in systems without catalytic converters) and therefore don't require the use of bellows, as long as the fixtures for the components are designed correctly and their manufacturing is carried out as intended.
toddoky is offline   Reply With Quote