View Single Post
Old 05-28-2004, 09:03 AM   #17
Putter
More Cowbell....

When I was born, my grandpa's '69 C-10 was already 3-years old. That was the first truck I ever laid eyes on. For the first 10-15 years, it was just "grandpa's old truck". Nothing special, just a truck. In high school I was all about my '52 Chevy truck. 327 with a powerglide. Bad as could be from redlight to redlight....sucked at anything over 60mph. After H/S, I sold it (mistake) and bought a Jap-truck (mistake). Found a '69 short/wide with a 350/350. Un-assed $1000 and drove it for a while....all the while, grandpa's truck was just sitting there under the 'truck-shed'. (he never had a car, so it was a truck shed instead of a car port). I was always told I could have it when he passed, but with that condition set on it, I really was not too anxious to get it. Well, the day came, and I ended up getting it the hard way. I titled it in my name, but left it in Arkansas for grandma to drive for something like 8-10 more years. I paid for all the tags, inspections, tires, maintenance, etc... She decided she was unable to wrestle the three speed, manual steering and manual brakes any more, so I hauled it home to Mississippi, and have driven it every day since. Not much of a story I guess, but that's how it laid out over the years.