Thread: 489 BBC Swap
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2014, 03:22 AM   #10
IIGW

Re: 489 BBC Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Thunder View Post
Chevy 489: !
you are going to need a list of whats inside that motor to answer most of your questions. Compression ration, head castings, cam etc..
Quote:
1. Would I need to do/buy anything else beside motor mounts? !
motor mounts are the same
Quote:
2. I will mainly be driving my truck on the street and occasionally on the strip at local races. My rear end gear ratio is a 4.10 and I am wondering will higher "highway" revs hurt my bbc? I wouldn't think so, but I've had a few different opinions. !
its your money, you can do whatever you want. My 4;11 rear does both my sbc and bbc just fine on the freeway, around 3800 at 70mph..
Quote:
3. Will my TH350 be a reliable transmission? Will I need a shift kit or another torque converter? !
is your trans stock? If no, then pull it and rebuild it to be a reliable trans. But since you asked about your rear gearing, get a 700r4 and rebuild it to handle the bbc tq, then youll get an OD. Or a 4l60e, but then youll need a computer to make it shift.
Quote:
Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
no worries, just think of it this way, it’s a grown up sbc. You have one in the truck running right now, so besides exhaust, there really is no difference. You can pull your 350 and install the 454 in a few hours and have it running. If it were me, id leave the trans the way it is now, to get the motor in and running and work out any possible non-foreseen problems. Then build a trans at a later date.
IIGW is offline   Reply With Quote