View Single Post
Old 04-09-2024, 12:11 AM   #63
dmjlambert

Re: Proportioning Valve Keeps Tripping?

Interesting behavior. Brings me back to wondering if the master cylinder has front reservoir for for rear drum brakes and rear reservoir for front disc brakes the way they are typically set up for C20.

As mentioned in this other recent thread by geezer#99 and earlier in this thread by kwmech the master cylinder may have residual pressure valves that are specific for drum or disc, and the residual pressure for drum is greater.

I don't know the confidence level that should be trusted in what the "people who sell these" saying about the design of it. I would want to see the actual specs and would like to have the tools and equipment to do measurements (like for the residual pressure, as if I would know how to measure that). It's hard to put a brake system together and trust that the specs are right. This thing you're going through is mysterious and I wish I had advice to remove the mystery and just determine the facts.

The action I would take is highly biased so you may not find it useful, biased by my preference for manual brakes on a C10. So I'd be putting a manual master cylinder that I know works for disc/drum on the firewall and call it a day. The manual master cylinder has a deeper bore for the push rod. Kit type master cylinders often have a deep bore and an adapter pin that fit in the push rod hole to make it compatible with a booster that requires a shallow push rod hole. I'm sure there's not very much to adapting a deep push rod hole to a shallow one, it's just a small rod of metal. So perhaps one of those manual master cylinders could be adapted for power, or a different power master cylinder that somebody here on the forum can attest to working on a C10 could be used. 71-72 C10 that came from the factory with disc/drum had 1.125 bore regardless of whether they were power or manual, and that has been shown to us by Keith Seymore right from the engineering specs he posted. A MC with 1 inch bore is not to spec for a C10, I'm not saying it won't work, it just reduces my confidence in the people who sell these kits and makes me wonder what the heck. Anyway I ramble, sorry too much rambling, saying bye now and I hope you find the solution.

Last edited by dmjlambert; 04-09-2024 at 12:25 AM. Reason: add url
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote