View Single Post
Old 02-19-2021, 06:47 PM   #4940
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

So.

Weirdly, no comments from you guys tonight.

And tonight I am as chuffed as a chuffed thing could ever be.

So yesterday at 4.00pm I got to meet Thomasz at Kerbed Wheels for the first time.

My £200.00 and £10.00 for stripping the tyres, wheels were in the back of the car when I spoke to him, after watching him incognito for at least 5 minutes, without him knowing I was watching.

This guy was hitting about 4 work stations, including the powder coating room, wheel machining mill, chemical stripping tank and a mug of certainly cold tea with an amazing ease.

Stuff like this buoys my confidence.

So I asked for advice, recommendations on how to manage my wheels.

He suggested dark anthracite, based on my love of the colour, and wanting to play with the trucks colours as a match.

I spoke to him about machine faces wheels, and the varied opinions, and he made a very valid point in pointing out that the durability is often associated with wheels being damaged.

He sold the idea to me, and at £15.00 extra per wheel, compared to £30.00 per wheel elsewhere, it seemed more viable.

It’s not always about the actual money, but rather the principle.

So we carried the wheels in at about 4.00pm

He took my details and wrote up the job order.

So at £75.00 per wheel, which includes removing existing tyres, and disposing if needed, blasting, chemical stripping, powder coating, followed by machine cutting of the faces, and then refitting the tyres or new tyres, new valves and balancing, I was into these wheels for £300.00 at Kerbed Wheels.

Being the sneaky curse word that I am, I had picked up on his accent and saying “Thank you” to him in Lithuanian surprised him, making him laugh and resulted in a voluntary 10% discount offer, so £30.00 back into my pocket.

He had also quoted £10.00 per centre cap for a paint match, which I had declined to his relief.

He reckoned the wheels would be done by Monday at the latest.

Today at. 2.00pm I called him to say the new 235/60 R16 Avon ZX7 tyres that I had ordered online from Black Circles costing £262.00 delivered, would be delivered on Monday.

He was slightly surprised and told me the last wheel had just gone into the CNC machine for cutting., I did ask him for a photo of the wheel in the machine, but did not get it.

This guy works at a crazy pace.

While the centre caps were a failure today, I will redo them tomorrow and hope they come out well.

If the DIY is a failure, I will go to plan B which is paying £100.00 or $140.00 for a set of Chinese chromed plastic centre caps.

Anyone interested in what greeted me at Kerbed Wheels when I got there at 3.00 this afternoon ??

I have never spent this much money on wheels and tyres in my life and this will actually turn at £900.00 or $1260.00 ince fitted to the truck.

The way I justify it was to say the truck is in such good condition that it deserves to be treated well.

When I got there, there was also proof that they strip more than just wheels.

Vespa scooter frame.

Then on to the wheels.

Mind blown.

STARTING WITH THIS

Dark Anthracite and silver.

And with my not so sexy centre cap fitted.

I really do live these wheels and and so pleased I did not do this myself.

Enough??
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote