Thread: Dead
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 06:15 PM   #21
crsgmc

Re: Dead

I always like it when people post the symptoms and the final solution. Many times it goes on for pages and then nothing. I "think" I have it figured out. I pulled the fuel pump relay to prevent more gasoline dumping in and mixing with the oil. I tested for spark coming out of the coil. I used jumper cables so I could get the jumper spot high enough so that I could see it out the front window while cranking. I need to buy an inline spark tester. I got good spark from that position. This likely means that the ICM and the coil are good. I then tested one of the spark plugs coming out of the distributor. I know the ground was good because I was using the same starter cable and ground spot. I could not see any spark. I double checked the connection to make sure the ground was good. I also know that I could see the spark from the coil, so I should have been able to see it from the distributor. But you never know. At this point I have ordered a new cap and rotor. That should arrive by this Friday, so Saturday I will install. Decided not to take the old one out until the new one arrives. Will check back after I confirm that the truck will run. I did order a fuel line pressure kit, in case, this is not the problem. If it does not work, I will buy an inline spark tester and test it again. If that confirms there is spark, I will have to keep looking.
crsgmc is offline   Reply With Quote