Thread: 47-55.1 Brake pedal height
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2023, 06:41 PM   #1
TX3100Guy

Brake pedal height

My son and I were sitting in my 1953 Chevy truck today. My son is much taller than I am and he mentioned that he has a hard time getting his longer leg onto the brake pedal without his knee hitting the steering wheel and/or his shins from hitting the under dash. It was then that I also realized that the stock brake pedal is about an inch and a half taller than the clutch pedal.

I have the stock pedal mechanism hooked up to a new under floor - frame mounted master cylinder. In looking at the pedal itself, the top of the brake pedal seems to be welded to the pedal itself (the part the rubber backing is attached to). Under the hood the pedal shaft is flattened on the end with a hole drilled though it for mounting to the mechanism that goes back to the master cylinder.

Does anyone sell a shorter pedal or one with more adjustment? I guess I could also remove the pedal, cut off an inch or two and then grind a flat on both sides for a hole to be drilled for the attaching bolt. But this sounds rather inelegant and a bit of guessing as to how much to cut off. Any thoughts on how to remedy this are welcome.

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote