Thread: 51 GMC 4x4
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2015, 06:08 PM   #11
Axe

Re: 51 GMC 4x4

Converting a 66 2wd frame to 4x4.

First I removed all the 2wd suspension, then I cut the rivets out of the spring hangers on the 4x4 frame, mine was a 86 chevy single tire 1ton. Then I rolled the frontend under the 66 frame with the springs still bolted to the axle, I got the tires centered in the wheel well and found the front hanger sits under the core support mount. I centered the axle side to side and centered in wheel well, then clamped and bolted the front hanger in place. To get the back hanger distance let the frame down on the springs then mark where the center of the spring eye is. Mine came out right where the e-brake cable goes through the frame, so to over come this I heated the frame and took 2 BFH's and flattened out the frame on both side. There was 2 hole on each side of the frame and I reamed one of the holes out so that the rear spring hanger would just go through the frame, then drilled 4 holes and bolted it in. The front hanger will need a gusset welded on, you can see mine in the pic. That one is temporary until I get the rest of the 51 stuff mounted then I'll make one that looks better.
Attached Images

Axe is offline   Reply With Quote