View Single Post
Old 06-24-2015, 08:05 AM   #49
kingstrider

Re: Models 1 48 scale

That is a superb collection of scale aircraft, thank you for sharing. Reminds me of when I was a kid and used to spend a lot of time at my grandparent's house building WWII era tanks and aircraft on the kitchen table. My grandfather would tell me stories about when he was in Europe during WWII as a M16 half track commander, the one with the quad 50 caliber Browning gun platform. One time I was building a Me-109 and he pulled out one of his two Purple Heart medals to tell me the story about how one came in on a strafing run. It shot him in the head and killed the gunner but he said if the trajectory had been a little greater then it would have killed him as well. The truck later blew up over a land mine somewhere in Italy which earned a second medal, I think it killed one or two others in the crew. He had several other near-misses as well but I remember those stories the most. The funny thing is my uncles tell me that he didn't talk about the war with them much, I guess it was our way of bonding. He was perhaps my greatest hero and the main reason I joined the military.
kingstrider is offline   Reply With Quote