View Single Post
Old 11-30-2022, 11:35 AM   #27
joedoh

Re: Unexpected disk brake - wheel problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Wrong way, you need a 3 to 3.5 inch back space. 4 puts the inside rim closer to the caliper yet. Most likely you won't even be able to get a 4 inch backspace wheel on the hub with the caliper on.
he is still gaining the 1/4 inch in offset, although you are technically correct that he will have more rim on the inside.

let me explain:

a 6 inch wide wheel is 7" lip to lip, a 0 offset would thereby be a 3.5" backspace. he has 3.75" backspace, which is 1/4" or 6mm offset.

a 7 inch wide wheel is 8 inches lip to lip, 0 offset is 4" backspace. he is still gaining the 1/4 inch in offset, and the width of the wheel on the barrel is 1/2 wider (half of the extra inch of width is added to the front side of the rim, half to the back).

at worst, the new wheel will fit exactly the same. at best, he will have gained the 1/4" offset he needs. it depends on where the wheel is hitting the caliper. my feeling is you are correct, the wheel is not different enough to make a difference.

my advice, grind the caliper slightly like other have said. no spacer, no new wheel, just a zip zip on the high spot, the caliper will never miss this small surface area.

actually i would probably switch back to drums there is very very very little gain to rear discs in 90% of driving. I have said before that you could probably disconnect the rear brakes in 90% of driving and never even notice. (do not disconnect your rear brakes!)

enough soapboxing, take the advice and just grind the high spot of the caliper. dont go crazy, just a little at a time and if it looks like you have to grind a big hunk off see where you are at then. you may order new wheels and find the same interference.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote