Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 09:56 PM   #1282
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
If you decide to replace the inner panel, easy will go out the window. They don't fit very well, IMO. Yours is not too terribly bad and could be salvaged with GEM, epoxy and self etch primer. When I did mine, the inner panels I bought were wrinkled and fit poorly. I think you'll more than double your work if you replace them. The key to using what you have is to seal out any future moisture to prevent corrosion. As you can see, the rot already has a head start, so if moisture is allowed to creep back in, it will come back very fast.
So lack of knowledge shine's through... I made the drive to Olympia after work to buy an inner repair panel thinking that they had that triangular stiffening raised area on the forward flange formed in to the repair panel, Nope! I thought it would save me some time and effort to cut that off and use it, oh well..

On the last door I think I used a router bit and made a wooden die and hammered the shape out of flat stock then used a portion of it, was not perfect but it helped stiffen the flange, that may be a repeat in my near future but I need to do some spot blasting to really see what I have to work with..

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote