View Single Post
Old 08-20-2016, 08:04 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: Shorten chassis with engine and trans in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey3100 View Post
Hi All,

Starting my new project. I have a 1952 Chevy 1/2 ton that I want to put on an S10 chassis I have. The S10 is extended cab so I know I will need to shorten frame. Two questions: Can I shorten the frame with the engine and trans in place? I want to use them in the swap and would rather not remove. 2nd: What about shortening the 2-piece driveshaft? Do I use the existing driveshaft or have one made?

Thanks.

I have been enjoying the different threads here regarding this swap.

yes, you have to be more judicious with your jack stands and leveling method because of the weight, but it will work fine, the factory frame splice is behind the trans crossmember.

shortening the two piece is not a good idea, by the time you shorten it for the frame length and then shorten it some more for the engine/trans moving back 7-8 inches, you will end up either shortening both pieces ($$$) or you will end up with one really short piece.

better to replace it with a shortened 98-03 S10 standrd cab longbed driveshaft, they are one piece to begin with and 4" diameter aluminum. make sure the rear yoke matches your rear end! they changed in around 2000 to a 4 bolt flange.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote