View Single Post
Old 06-12-2022, 05:32 PM   #14
HYPR

Re: Dumb question but I did a search LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyridin View Post
I can't get a picture without removing the thermostat housing. The thermostat in the L83 is sealed. There is no bypass hole in the thermostat itself like many old cars have, so they use a bypass built into the thermostat housing and send the extra back to the overflow. If you plug the tube outlet, all you need to do is drill a 1/8" hole inside the thermostat housing and connect it with the bypass tube. This allows a small amount of coolant to bypass the thermostat and gets rid of the air pockets.

My Dakota Digital controller is not a PMW set-up. It is programmable for multiple style fans. You literally have to program it and tell it what type of fan, what type of sensor, etc. When you remove power for the Winter or whatever, it wipes the memory and you have to reprogram it. I run a 2 speed Taurus fan on the car. The PMW is obviously much better.
Regarding the DD PMW, now I understand. Yep, when Spal had theirs it was a third party who built it for them. When mine took a crap of course unlike brake light switches which intentionally break in the ON position it decided to take a dump in the NOPE not going to turn on the fans position causing an immediate over heat (108 degree day in traffic DUH over heating and warping a set of AFR Race heads!). Well calling them they picked up the tab for the DD PMW even though the Spal system was over 10 years old. They agreed it should have been designed to fail closed not open. Oh well welcome to Hot Rodding!
Now regarding the Thermostat, I hate to be dense but I want to be sure I understand you correctly. Looking at the attached photo (my old broken outlet tube housing) drill a hole where the red dot on the top of the housing and connect the hose from the new fitting installed into the housing to the overflow correct? Then plug the outlet tube. Or are you saying remove the Thermostat from the housing and drill a hose inside like the second photo with the Pink dot inside the Thermostat housing by first removing the actual thermostat and drilling the hole here? Why couldn't I just drill a hole in the actual Thermostat as pictured Black dot between the two red lines in the third photo. Wouldn't that work fine?
Attached Images

Last edited by HYPR; 06-12-2022 at 05:44 PM.
HYPR is offline   Reply With Quote