View Single Post
Old 11-22-2022, 05:00 PM   #13
mr48chev

Re: Rear leaf spring swap issue

Eyeball engineering says that the axle should be pretty well centered on the bump stop.

The locating hole in the spring pad on the axle is normally 1-3/4 inches in front of the center line of the axle. That is what I had to drill mine at when I swapped transmissions and rear axles in a one night after work (worked swing shift) thrash where I swapped rear axles and the transmisson and didn't drill the hole to center the axle and had to take the axle out, drill the holes and put it back the next night in 1973. Not having much yoke in the transmisison is also what caused me to have the yoke knock out the rear seal on I 35 by Marietta OK on my way to Tulsa a couple of days later to go to the 73 NSRA street rod nationals. Bob Davis who lived in Waco and Taught at TSTI then and I swapped tail shafts in the trans in a little wrecking yard in Marietta and were only a few hours late in the process.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote