View Single Post
Old 11-30-2022, 11:49 AM   #29
TX3100Guy

Re: Unexpected disk brake - wheel problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
enough soapboxing, take the advice and just grind the high spot of the caliper. dont go crazy, just a little at a time and if it looks like you have to grind a big hunk off see where you are at then. you may order new wheels and find the same interference.
From under the car, I can see that the somewhat conical stepped shape of the inner wheel combined with how far out the caliper sticks out that unless I'm willing to live with about 1/16" in clearance, I'm going to need a better wheel fitment.

Last night I put the 1/4" spacer on, combined with one steel 1/2" washer. I was able to get the lugs on by a thread or two and from under the car and behind the wheel, see that I had about 1/16" clearance to the caliper. At that point, I was contemplating the longer studs that had been suggested earlier. When I saw how minimal clearance that produced, I wasn't happy.

When I consider the time it would take to disassemble the calipers, rotors, remove the axle shafts, press out the old lugs, press in new longer lugs, then reassemble only to get 1/16" clearance., getting new better shaped and offset wheels seems like a better idea.

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote