View Single Post
Old 05-21-2006, 01:47 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: How to make your cargo light double as a 3rd brake light... and look bone stock

You have probably already figured how to do this.... but, humor me, I'm typing this all out, and I beat you to it.
I actually have wanted to do this since 96 when my old neighbor got a 69 GMC that had the cargo light. As soon as I saw it I said to him that'd make a sweet 3rd brake light. I never got the chance to do it to my old longhorn before it got totaled..and the rest of my trucks didn't have the cargo light. I did this conversion on this same cargo light a few years ago, but I got some weak girly lame-o-lights that just looked like doo-doo.
So anyways, remove the lens, and the bulb, and drill out holes in the 4 corners just inside of the rubber seal like so;

Insert the lights and run the nuts on them from the back;

Now, when you get to the side that has the light sticking out (on the back side) the light bolts will be too long. But, you are in luck. Since they are made in tiwan, the chromed metal is about as strong as a Pinto in a demolition derby,a dn will break with minimal pressure. BUT, first, you'll wanna remove the LED from the assembly. If you look real close, you'll see some clear-ish sillicone where the wire goes into the hollow bolt;

You'll want to dig it out. It comes out pretty easily. Once you do that, push the wire into the bold grom the back side. The LED will pop out of the chrome, and you can pull the whole thing out.
(I forgot to take a pic of that step, but close your eyes, and picture this shot... but with a hole where the LED is)

More to come