View Single Post
Old 04-10-2021, 09:09 AM   #41
ItWillBeSlow

Re: Roof patch causing warp / oil canning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
Likelihood is 100%. Looking at the second picture in your post #38, those rust holes are not from leaves in the drip rail, they are rusting from the inside-out. Over the years humidity has formed inside the truck as it sits in the sun with the windows up. When it cools at night this humidity becomes condensation on the bottom side of the roof skin, where it will pool and collect to the low areas once gravity helps out. What you have showing is normally a small percentage of the rust and pits that are still growing and will be breaking through in the next year or so. If you have priced your paint materials, then I'd say you fully understand how much cheaper this repair will be before paint goes on. If they reproduce a roof skin for your truck I'd say you have a prime candidate now. And it fixes the antenna hole..

For some insight, John has a similar repair he's doing right now on a 66 ford here:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...=784498&page=7

….starting at post 164. This will give a good idea what lies in store. Where he reformed the lip, you shouldn't need to do so with a reproduction roof skin... And while things are opened up, fix everything that needs it..
Thanks Robert. One thing I don’t understand is the practical risk associated with the rust that’s inside. If it took 50 years to make the first 3 pinholes, and I remove these “worst” areas and keep water out, then keep the truck dry except the occasional wash, what is the practical risk of rust breaking through again in the future? To me it seems removing the major contributing factors should reduce this risk.

I’m obviously not building a Barrett Jackson truck here, but I am also doubtful that most folks with decent paint jobs replaced a roof skin over a few pin holes, but I am wrong often and that’s how this discussion started!

Any others have past roof skin repairs to share? I may have access to a probe camera and will try and get some interior shots of these areas just for kicks.