View Single Post
Old 09-06-2021, 11:47 PM   #605
Kronald_70GMC

Re: My 1970 GMC “Project Splice”

Alright so I'm a bit rusty at this whole bodywork thing. I put down another coat on the roof and sanded it too far with 80 grit and still ended up low. I'm definitely not a professional here by any means. I ended up putting a guide coat down to get the 80 grit scratches out which is how I realized I was low in spots. I didn't have any guide coat on hand and the local body supply store was closed for the holiday so I picked up some black chalk from home depot. Worked great and a fraction of the price. Just sprinkled in on and spread it around with a chunk of foam. I got a third coat of filler on the roof including the edges this time. I definitely recommend completely coating the panel you are working before sanding, it worked much better that way instead of trying to feather the edges. I now have the roof sanded in 80 grit but this time I left it just above finish so that I will be able to sand out the 80 grit scratches with 180 before burning through and getting high spots. It's hard to see in the 4th picture but the black chalk shows my low spots. 5th picture is how it is sitting now. Ready for more guide coat and blocking with 180 grit.
Attached Images

1970 GMC "Project Splice"

2017 Silverado LTZ (Daily Driver)

IG: kyle_ronald
Kronald_70GMC is offline   Reply With Quote